So maybe I am missing something obvious, but here goes:

I’ve got a small server at home, and I have simply.com pointing various domains to it. Works fine, nginx routs the traffic where it needs to go.

But whenever I am at home and connected to wifi I have to use the internal address and port to reach my server, e.g. 192.168.0.192:8096 for my Jellyfin server. If I use the public URL at home, i hit the login page to my router.

This is annoying when I use apps, as I need to switch between the public URL and the internal address as I come and go from my home…

What are my options for doing something about this? I want to use the public URL at home too…

• Knossos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 days ago

On my Fritzbox, I needed to add all my Subdomains to a list under:

DNS Rebind Protection Your FRITZ!Box suppresses DNS responses that refer to IP addresses in its own home network (DNS rebind protection). Here you can specify exceptions for which DNS rebind protection should not apply. Do this by entering the complete name of the host (domain name including the subdomain) in the list.

That’s under network settings, advanced. In case you have that.

• Morethanevil@lemmy.fedifriends.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 days ago

Indeed it is DNS rebind protection.

I use wildcard on my Fritzbox. I added *.mydomain.com and my MyFritz address *.er467.myfritz.net

Important for everyone who makes changes on DNS rebind protection: You will need to completely RESTART your Fritzbox. Even if you add a line, or edit. One domain per line. It will not work without it ☝🏻