• Shanedino@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

Listened through a history of rome podcast and learned an interesting thing where win was basically like a concentrate so you would mix it with water to drink. Aka. water -> wine.

• MagicShel@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 days ago

Using reasoning like this to remove the supernatural from the Bible rather defeats the entire point, doesn’t it? If Jesus just made Gatorade like anyone else would, that’s a rather unremarkable thing to describe. Hardly worth committing to writing.

• Shanedino@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago
        1. I am sure there are countless mundane tasks that are pretty unremarkable.

2. Does the Bible really have a point? I guess other than brainwashing masses?

• MagicShel@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 days ago

That’s what I’m saying. There’s no record of him wiping his ass or playing cards. If it’s in the book it must be intended to present something exceptional. Explain his actions as something mundane and there isn’t really any reason to write it down.

But equally, the fantastic supernatural elements make the whole thing into a fairy tale to be completely disregarded as a dubious source of folk wisdom at best by any thinking person.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 days ago

I hope not, because port is my wine of choice and I would be like, “fuck you, Jesus. I wanted to drink that!”