• Klear@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

My headcanon is that the Old Testament was a god specifically of the Jews and some upstart god took over (possibly after murdering him) in the New Testament days and then proceeded to spread his influence to non-jewish people while aggressively eliminating any opposition. Wherease in the old days people believed in various gods, this one started of campaign of montheism, depriving the rest of them of faith and eliminating them one by one. Nowadays he’s kicking and screaming because the rise of atheism in many parts of the world which used to be his strongold is depriving him of energy and thus he finally faces annihilation.

• Klear@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

Indeed. The headcanon part is the whole hijacking part.

Truth be told, it makes perfect sense for religions as a whole following some type of evolutionary path and that a religion that actively tries to eliminate other faith would be one to eventually gain dominance. I’m more surprised that it seems to have happened fairly late and perhaps just once? There’s probably others similar to the judeo-christian tradition that ended up falling short of their conquest, but still.

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

The Old Testament doesn’t even get to proper Jews until Genesis 32:22-31 when Jacob wrestles an angel to win God’s eternal blessing for his offspring.

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

That’s not headcanon, that’s canon canon. The first bit anyway.

If I was to describe Abrahamic religions to pre-Abrahamic polytheist societies, I’d tell about a powerful, jealous god from the desert that murdered the other gods and took command of most of the world.