• nomous@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 days ago

This story is fucked up, when I first read this I got to about chapter 15 before I found out it was all real. That specific “school” only shut down in 2011 after their enrollment finally dropped off. No one in charge ever got in any trouble and presumably they all still in work in related fields.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elan_School

• kmartburrito@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 days ago

This story is still super vivid in my mind after over a decade and I’m super glad I read it through completely. It’s crazy but really fascinating.

• Optional@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

“The cause of death is asphyxia due to smothering,” the autopsy said. “The manner of death is homicide.”

WBTV is not identifying the boy, who died on his first night at the camp, Trails Carolina.

. . . The Transylvania County Sheriff, who is investigating the boy’s death, has previously said he was waiting for the autopsy to be released before moving forward in his investigation.

Trails Carolina is a camp for troubled teens. WBTV has been investigating the camp since 2021. The February death was the second time a camper had died at the facility in a decade.

Regulators with the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services revoked the camp’s license in May.

(emphasis added)

Cripes.

• sunzu@kbin.run
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 days ago

a camp for troubled teens

Ahh yes, pedos and other pests love these sort of “orgs”

Great place to get your next victim… nobody gonna believe these kids, they are already so damaged!!!

We are only missing “Christian” in there to make it text book style child abuse.

• vxx@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 days ago

Those poor children but also parents.

I read the homepage of Trails Carolina and I would almost fall for them even after knowing what they’re up to.

This place sounds like therapy heaven.

• 🔰Hurling⚜️Durling🔱@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 days ago

Fuck parents who think this is ok. Charge the camp, the “councelors”, and the parents of murder.

Your child was born to this world, not built and it’s not your or anyone else’s job to “fix” to match your view of the world.

• Cosmonauticus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 days ago

it’s not your or anyone else’s job to “fix” to match your view of the world.

I don’t know. While these camps are horrid I do believe some kids need to be “fixed” due to a multitude of reason out of their control. Mental health issues, abuse, etc. I’d just do it with a lot of family therapy instead of murdering, demeaning, kidnapping, and imprisonment.

• girlfreddy@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

For those who may need a reminder …

According to the detectives, Trails Carolina protocols dictated that the boy would have to sleep on the floor of the bunkhouse the first night. The records indicate the base layer of it is a heavy plastic that is cut approximately six feet and tied on each end with a string. On top is a sleeping bivy, which is a small tent. One side is collapsed, and the other side is held up with a flex pole. A sleeping bag is inside the bivy. On the zipper of the bivy is a small alarm that goes off when you exit. That device was seized along with other items.

Around midnight, the boy began to experience a panic attack. According to the detectives’ warrants, the two counselors stood along the wall. They told detectives the boy experienced panic and high anxiety but according to the warrants, “didn’t mention if they attempted to assist him.” The counselor did mention to detectives that the boy could exit the bivy at any time, but when he described it to detectives they kept stating, “‘we’ would open or close the bivy.” They claim the boy was checked at midnight, 3 a.m., and 6 a.m. and found dead at 7:45 a.m., and he was cold to the touch and stiff.

https://wlos.com/news/local/trails-carolina-death-investigation-lake-toxaway-transylvnia-county-search-warrants-disturbing-details-12-year-old-boy-timeline-state-oversight-requirements-north-carolina-department-health-human-services-regulation