• NikkiNikkiNikki@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Minimum word counts are just stupid, if I can explain what I need too, with the correct amount of detail, in 100 less words than necessary, why shouldn’t I be able to?

• onehellofausername@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

This is why, as an English teacher, I like to just give a ballpark for length, and just say it should be as long as it needs to be to get the point across successfully. If you answer the prompt in full, it should be plenty long enough.

• roguetrick@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

My college years never had me get close to minimum word count on any paper. I mostly focused on trimming shit down as much as possible.

• ElectricCattleman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I named my cat Simba after the Lion King character.

In order to determine the reasoning behind the origin of the feline member of my family it is important to understand the nomenclature of the primary cast of the Disney hit movie “the Lion King”. The primary character, Simba, was an inspiration to many, and indeed to our family as well, for when asked to pick a name for our cat, collectively we selected that name for him.

• Nioxic@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I do similar.

Instead of writing “fx” i write “for example”

Its the little things.

• Gsus4@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

But the meaning is not the same, right? It should be “nevertheless”, not “then”

• fluxion@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I used to try to write like Tolkien in middle school. I’d give my English teachers seizures and get red circles everywhere for run-ons and extra commas, but it didn’t matter, Tolkien’s power was greater.