• other_cat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

I’ve got a bit of a VPN question if anyone wants to educate a newbie a little. When I tried a VPN (Mullvad actually!) it defaulted to Sweden but then accessing my banking information didn’t work. If I switch a VPN to reflect that I’m somewhere randomly in the USA, is that still sufficient protection?

• yukijoou@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

it depends™

what are you protecting yourself against?

for my use case, that’d be good enough, i don’t want my school/building admins to snoop on the websites i visit, and don’t want to fear academic repercussions for torrenting and such

though if you think your government is out to get you, then tunneling to another country is probably best!

• other_cat@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

Nothing that serious, thankfully. Just want to obfuscate my data and leave as little of an impression on the internet as I can. Good advice, thank you!

• LWD@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

Your bank probably wants to make sure your account isn’t being hacked. Either they think you’re using a VPN, and they believe it could be a malicious person from literally anywhere, or they think you’re in Sweden, and they have no idea how you got there.

It’s cases like these where you might want to temporarily disable the VPN or make a special exception for your banking app, but that’s up to you.

• /home/pineapplelover@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

I’ve torrented in the US and haven’t been hit with anything. So I think it should be fine as long as you vpn anywhere. Except maybe very totalitarian countries.