• Poayjay@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

“Data Considerations The data found on the Crime Data Explorer represents reported crime, and is not an exhaustive report of all crime that occurs. It’s important to consider the various factors that lead to crime activity and crime reporting in a community before interpreting the data. Without these considerations the available data can be deceiving. Factors to consider include population size and density, economic conditions, employment rates, prosecutorial, judicial, and correctional policies, administrative and investigative emphases of law enforcement, citizens’ attitudes toward crime and policing, and the effective strength of the police force.”

• finley@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 days ago

If you have have any reason to believe that this analysis is inaccurate, you’re welcome to provide a counter argument (with evidence)

• Rimu@piefed.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 days ago

Those caveats are pretty standard and uncontroversial when it comes to crime statistics. Source: I studied Sociology 101 at university.

Unless something has happened that would make people less likely to report crimes or less likely for there to be convictions, etc then I see no reason why these crime stats would be any more unreliable than usual.

• Em Adespoton@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 days ago

Well, I’d say that trust in the police and the 911 system is also at an all-time low, which could result in fewer crimes being reported to them.

Not that I think it’s actually a significant enough amount to account for the notable reported decrease, but you asked….

• btaf45@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 days ago

Well, I’d say that trust in the police…is also at an all-time low

Because of Treason Trump’s attacks on our justice system, law enforcement officers, and the rule of law in general?

which could result in fewer crimes being reported to them.

So you are saying that Sex Offender Trump is actively enshitifying the country.

• pearable@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            2 days ago

I’m a lot less likely to report a crime after the George Floyd murder. Granted violent crime, like murder, tends to get reported regardless of a person’s personal feelings about police, and reported murders are down

• Poayjay@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

Literally, the publisher of the data explicitly states and explains why in the quote.

The drop in reported crime coincides exactly with the George Floyd protests. Saying that because reported crime went down, all crime went down without addressing the cultural shift of the relationship between the public and the police is dishonest.

I never made any kind of argument. I just pointed out that the FBI cautions the public from drawing broad conclusions to people who are drawing broad conclusions.

• btaf45@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

economic conditions,

i.e. Joe Biden

employment rates

i.e. Joe Biden

administrative and investigative emphases of law enforcement