As the title suggest, I may have installed some malicious software called Adventurous Clotth Tool from a company called Adventurous Cloth LLC.

For context, I was looking to download Driver San Francisco and because it’s no longer available for purchase anywhere my brother recommended SteamUnlocked, which he has used before. After skimming the comments I assumed it was safe, downloaded the file(big warning sign in retrospect) and installed the program, after mentioning this to my brother he told me that it should have been the game files in a zip folder, and obviously I broke down in a cold sweat.

I have run multiple checks using Malware Bytes, Windows Defender and an offline Windows Defender scan, all of which reported no problems, however obviously I’m still scared/nervous about what I have done.

Apart from don’t be an idiot, can anyone give me some advice on what I should be doing next? I tried searching for the company and program in question, but no results have come up.

• HolyHell@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

The way they said they installed something which was different to the game files that were expected made it sound like they might’ve clicked on an ad that was a download button instead of the actual download on the site but I might be wrong because I’ve never been on steam unlocked. They also seem like they’re new to piracy and I would definitely recommend they have a good Adblock even before they visit even the trusted piracy sites.

• Chrissedoff@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I was using Opera with Adblock Plus, would that be enough or after the formar, would it be wise to use Chrome/Firefox instead?

• gk99@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Adblock Plus is the one that will let ads through so long as they’re paid to do so. Wouldn’t touch Chrome since Google, as an ad business, has the motive to kill ad blockers and is already making steps toward doing so.

• Timwi@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Opera is fine. However, AdBlock Plus is not. It has become infected with profit-driven decisions and now lets ads through that pay. Use uBlock Origin instead.

• –Phase–@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Would recommend Firefox with uBlock Origin installed. Adblock Plus allows ads through so long as they get paid, it shouldn’t be used under any circumstances.

• HolyHell@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m a firefox guy but it’s all preference. Definitely swap out adblock plus for ublock origin though.