This is an automated archive made by the Lemmit Bot.

The original was posted on /r/AmItheAsshole by /u/ventura4433 on 2023-08-13 12:21:41.

Yesterday I was informed that my daughter Sam was a part of a group of students who bullied another girl to the point that she had to switch schools. There was a racial aspect to the bullying, which came as a complete shock since my wife and I truly did our best to raise our 3 kids to be kind and honest individuals.

I don’t believe that a grounding and a confiscation of electronics is harsh enough for what Sam did, so I told Sam that she won’t be allowed to participate in homecoming or attend senior prom. I also told her that she won’t be getting a car for her 18th birthday either. Finally, I told her that she’ll have to delete all of her social media accounts with either me or her mother watching.

Sam begged me to allow her to go to senior prom because it’s a once in a lifetime event, and keep just her Instagram account because it had pictures going back years that weren’t saved anywhere else. I told her that she shouldn’t have been a racist bully.

My parents are temporarily staying with us while their house is undergoing renovations. They agree that what Sam did was completely out of line and must be punished, but they think that making my daughter miss homecoming and senior prom and forcing her to delete her social media is far far too harsh.

• awwwyissss@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I like your response, just want to point out that this is copied from Reddit. OP will never see any responses here unfortunately.

• NotThatDisuse@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

That’s true but I think it’s open to discussion by us. As a parent, it’s such a fine line of trying to do right by our kids and raise them to be the best version of themselves.

I agree in that this approach seems rooted in anger than more in understanding the consequences of their behavior.

• jimmydoreisalefty@lemmus.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Always great to see different parenting styles.

Reasoning behind certain actions can help us all learn.

Thank you for your analyzis!