‘He was understandably frustrated and distraught by the present and on-going erosions to our constitutionally protected freedoms and the rights of free citizens’

• Bizarroland@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

One thing I think is going on is that a lot of people in the western world have been raised to expect Armageddon sometime during their lifetime, and because they feel like they are on the right side they are attempting to accelerate that Armageddon because they think that happiness and Paradise are just on the other side of it.

It’s like being told as soon as you finish this chore you’re going to get a tasty treat. If you really want the treat you’re going to work harder and faster to get the chore done sooner, right?

There’s only one line in the Bible and I don’t remember where it is that cautions people against attempting to accelerate the end of times because they don’t really know what it’s actually going to be like and they’re only leading themselves to their own destruction but just like everything else in the Bible, because every single word is supposed to be important, that warning has just slipped through the cultural cracks.

• sparseMatrix@kbin.socialOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

@Bizarroland

@kelvin0mql

You are saying something I’ve been saying for years. In fact, it was my parent’s generation who I saw anticipating armaggeddon, and they expected it in the year 2000. It’s what the lyrics of ‘Party Like It’s 1999’ are all about.

I get the idea that when it didn’t happen that way, it surprised a lot of them, and eventually pissed off a bunch of them. They felt like they’d been cheated out of the second coming, or something.

While my parents are passed now, and didn’t really share the perspective anyway, I think there are still a bunch of these grizzled old assholes around, ready to see it all burn before they croak, just so they can be around when it happened.

• Bizarroland@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

It’s in the realm of “Self-Fulfilling Prophecy” at this point. If God won’t do it, we’ll just make our own Armageddon with internet greed and hypocrisy.

• btaf45@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

In fact, it was my parent’s generation who I saw anticipating armaggeddon, and they expected it in the year 2000. It’s what the lyrics of ‘Party Like It’s 1999’ are all about.

We didn’t expect shit. It’s just a song dude.

• Kelvin n0mql EN35ld@mastodon.hams.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

@sparseMatrix
        I was @ Wendy’s abt 12y ago. Mostly empty. Dude 10’ away blustering to his daughter about those “Slow… Children At Play” signs/markers people put at the end of their driveway. “They’re illegal! They can’t put up signs the city didn’t put up. I’m gonna run ‘em over!”

His back was to me, so his daughter could see me flip him off. She briefly smirked, but he didn’t see it. I did her a great service that day.