Baldur’s Gate 3 is a game of the year contender - but how does its PC release stack up in terms of visuals and performa…

• GreenAlex@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Wife and I are loving it but it needs some tunning for sure. Performance struggles and crashes are pretty common, and my wife clipped through a door just after the tutorial section. Didn’t do anything crazy, just walked right on through a locked door.

• Perfide@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Agreed on the tuning needed, but I’m surprised to hear how many have had crashes. I haven’t had a single crash in like 50 hours of playing and another 50hours with it idling while I take breaks.

• GreenAlex@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I agree it’s odd. For some it’s constant and others it’s unheard of. Hopefully they’re able to track it down. 3 patches since release is a good sign.

• I haven’t had any crashes, but I’ve had loads of other issues. Laezel constantly breaks requiring a reload, scripts sometimes don’t fire correctly so you don’t get an important buff or item necessary to progress, my characters constantly end up naked after going to camp because it wants to hide their armor automatically and doesn’t unhide it when you leave, my proficiencies are often not applied to rolls, etc.

• Perfide@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Damn that sucks. I’ve had a few minor scripting issues and Shadowheart got legit stuck once, but other than that smooth sailing

• Hairyblue@kbin.socialOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Vulkan crashed on me on launch day. And I haven’t had a crash since then with 30 hours of play now. I would play more but I work long hours during the week.

• GreenAlex@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I3 12100f, gtx 1060 3gb, and ssd on Linux. We since switched to steam deck where we have only had 1 crash. I should be hitting a bit over the minimum specs but my bet is I was running out of vram in cutscenes where the detail is higher.

• YayIguess@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

4GB of VRAM is in the minimum requirements, seeing as you have a 12th gen Intel you really might want to look at getting a GPU upgrade. You can find used 6600/XT’s or 6700’s for pretty cheap and that would roughly double (or more) your performance in pretty much every game.

• GreenAlex@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

That is a good catch, I clearly glossed over that. I recently gave most of my rig a facelift as I was bottlenecked by my old CPU. A GPU is 100% next in line but thankfully we’re still enjoying the game on our Decks.

• dezmd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

don’t die on the top of a ladder, you might by lying in the air next to it and no one will be able to rez

• _Mantissa@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

you can directly target allies with health potions to pick them up btw. It might need a surface under it to apply the healing though, I’ve never tested it on someone floating lol. healing spells will always work though, especially

spoiler; spell name

mass healing word

which doesn’t require you to target them directly.

• dezmd@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I mean a full death that requires a ‘touch’ distance to use a resurrection scroll, not just a ‘mostly dead’ character. ;)