• atyaz@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I thought they were super convenient until I had to repair my phone and apple deleted my old sims because they thought there was a physical sim (there’s wasn’t). So I have to go to the agency for the sims I lost. One of them is in another country. So I won’t be able to get that until I go there again.

• djsaskdja@endlesstalk.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I think the confusion stems from eSIMS being very convenient for Americans, but not true for every other country.

• Nogami@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

They’re pretty convenient everywhere. Check out the Airalo esim app. You can get one for pretty much anywhere in the world.

I also switched my local provider to esim because it means the sim can’t be removed from the phone if lost or stolen to take it offline. I guess they could keep it wrapped in tinfoil but that’s probably more than the average street rat knows.

• ZyQo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

The mini seems useless, how so you even watch content on a screen that small?

• ZyQo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

That is true. But having such a powerful computer using it for calls and texts seems unnecessary. No need getting such an expensive phone for that.

• some_guy@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Who are you to say what people need their phones for?

You don’t need a good phone to watch videos at all, so I’m not even sure why that’s the example you chose to fight about.

• Lumberjacked@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I take pictures. I use apps. I listen to podcasts. If I want to watch something I typically use my TV , laptop, or iPad. But I don’t want a monstrosity in my pocket. Insert penis size joke here

• HeartyBeast@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I don’t get what you are saying. I use it for loads of stuff and have never found the size a problem.

• Alto@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Or they’re like multiple people in my family that will get a phone, use it for 5-6 years, and this just happens to be when they’re deciding to upgrade.

• CatZoomies@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Kirk Van Houten: “I watch content in a racing car! Do you?”

Homer: “I watch content on a big TV with my wife.”

Kirk: “… Oh. Yeah.”

• HeartyBeast@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

It’s the perfect size for me. It actually fits in my pocket and it’s not my primary device for watching video.

• SatyrSack@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

The first several iPhone models were even smaller. I say this as someone who misses my last 16:9 6" phone: 5.4" is definitely not useless.

• ZyQo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Well I too had the first iPhone just a few weeks after launch and the 4 before switch to various androids and now back to iPhone.

Watching content back then wasn’t as widespread as today so in that sense it’s quite useless imo. Watching a 1080/4k on YouTube or watching a show on Netflix/Apple TV+ on such a small form factor seems like an annoyance.

Besides, my phone is what I use for 95% of my computing needs. Banking, identification.

• infotainment@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Wish the TouchID rumors were true; I have the iPad Air M1 with the side TouchID button and it works amazingly.

I wish Apple would bring it to their phones, but they really seem to like FaceID for some reason.

• weedwhacking@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

The Touch ID in my iPad mini is very awful, I have to type my code constantly. I’ve gotten in the habit of wiping it often which is helping but not much, I feel the Touch ID on my old iPhone 8 was way better

• tahoe@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I got excited about that headline until I thought about how big it’s probably going to be. I’ll keep my XS and will switch to a 13 Mini when needed.

• DarkWasp@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

If this is essentially a XR with USB-C and a newer processor I’m really interested. Hope the rumours pan out as they sound way better than what I’m expecting.