Tipping ‘nudges’ are now popping up on DoorDash. If you don’t leave a gratuity, you’ll hear about it.::DoorDash is the latest delivery service to nudge customers who don’t tip. It shows how intrusive tip requests are, and how important tips are to gig workers.

• GenderNeutralBro@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I stick with the tipping habits I grew up with.

• If I’m getting table service at a restaurant, I tip the waitstaff.

• If I’m getting food delivered, I tip the delivery person.

• I tip taxi drivers.

• I tip bartenders. I’m honestly not sure how to tip bartenders these days though, because it used to be “$1 per drink”, which seemed quite generous when drinks were less than $5. Now a single drink might be $12. Am I really supposed to tip 20% on that?

If I’m walking up to a counter and getting takeout or fast food, I’m not tipping. That’s nutty. Nobody would even consider that if they didn’t use these customer-facing tablets everywhere nowadays.

Sometimes I’ll toss a buck in the tip jar at my favorite coffee shop or pizzeria, but it’s not a percentage thing.

I’ve always known old people to be shitty tippers. Maybe I’m on my way to becoming one of them now, failing to keep up with social norms. But I really don’t think this is the norm, and I don’t want it to become the norm.

• Freeman@lemmy.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah I’m mostly at the same. But coffee shops and pizza shacks etc have gotten to be the worst on the tipping thing, and being vocal about it.

I guess I’m just old now. But even at restaurants we have stopped going in the last year because the level of dgaf is through the roof and the service is shit, burgers are 17 bucks and it’s just not enjoyable. One of our favorite pizza places is like that. Get the waiter that is AirPods in, asking you to repeat your order, fucking up the order, forgetting shit or even to fire an entire part of the parties order, and the ordeal taking 2 hours.

• unceme@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I worked at a coffee shop and 40% of my wage was tips. I wouldn’t be able to afford to live otherwkse. Please tip your barista.

• theneverfox@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I just stopped eating out. It’s gotten ridiculous, it’s cheaper and healthier to just cook yourself