My job tends to push me well beyond 8 hour days & 5 day weeks. I feel like my job requires a ton of emotional labour, and I find that super draining. Normally when I’m working, I’m falling behind in sleep and self-care. If I have free time, often times I need to just chill out and rest. I tend to put something pointless on YouTube or Netflix just to relax.

When I have some time off, my body stops screaming to slow down. I catch up with sleep and exercise. I can read as much as I want to. I touch base with old friends who I haven’t talked to in a while. I can do much more IRL activism. Basically, I become the person I wish that I was normally.

God I wish I had some passive income coming in so this could be my life. Everyday would be a vacation. I’d probably go to the office and waste my employees time with meetings so I’d feel like I was doing something. I’d go to a Global South country, pretend I’m volunteering, and meet other trust fund kids who think they’re making a difference. If I had enough capital, I’d found some NGO that makes freedom maps, and the DPRK would get a very sinister colour. I could go to cocktail parties and brag about how my NGO is making a difference. That it’s all funded by the exploited labour of my workers is easily forgotten after 3 martinis.

Looking back at the past, I can’t see any path that I would become a capitalist, as there was no chance of me getting capital, except becoming an especially evil sort of grifter. Maybe I’d be a very different sort of person if my parents left me a 5 million nest egg.

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Sounds like he means being a landlord or other business owner. He wants to be able to exploit other people so he can have leisure. It’s noty an unreasonable goal, since they are stuck in a system they can’t control.

• ButtBidet [he/him]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

For this post: enough money to sit on my ass and make everyday a holiday

In general: people with money (capital) to invest, which is used to make commodities to sell. They can purchase the labour of others, so they don’t need to sell their own labour to survive.