We’re also seeing a rapid increase in commercial vacancies with WFH. But there are big challenges and costs to turning commercial properties into residential.

I’ve heard a lot about the problems. Surely there’s some good ideas for a solution out there?

• Melpomene@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yes, same. I considered buying but given the 3% increase in the interest rate we saw, I’m just going to keep renting and hoping that things come back down before I’m 100 years old.

• BReel@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The only reason I got away from renting, even with the interest, was that it was still gonna be $100 cheaper, except +1 bed +1 bath and I actually OWN it.

Plus, with my loan the interest rate can’t go any higher, but can be refinanced if things go lower. So since I was basically break even on the current interest, I decided to take it.

• Melpomene@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I sort of like the idea that I can just… leave… and not worry about having an expensive albatross hanging around my neck. And my rent is low for the area so I’m doing better for now renting. I’d like to own eventually, I guess, but I prefer not to spend more per month if I can avoid it.

• BReel@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

My rent was gonna go up $300, so that made it pretty easy as well haha. (I woulda stayed renting too if it had been cheaper /month)