Waterloo region’s first ever integrated crisis centre is set to open its doors July 30. The creation of the centre is one being applauded by Mike and Fiona Roth. who became mental health advocates after their daughter Kaitlyn died in April 2022.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

It will pose as an alternate destination to hospitals, diverting individuals away from overwhelmed emergency rooms to a more suitable environment for comprehensive care.

Anyone over 18 years old can admit themselves to the free clinic where there will be “skilled and compassionate staff from both CMHA and Thresholds, as well as a number of other mental health and addictions providers, locally,” Fishburn said.

She adds staff will be from different disciplines to best provide the kind of care people need, including walk-in support, crisis intervention services and referrals.

Kaitlyn Roth is remembered by her parents as a bright, compassionate and kind-hearted young woman who naturally made others feel heard and welcome in any situation.

Waterloo’s MPP Catherine Fife told CBC News she presented a petition with more than 7,000 signatures at Queen’s Park in the fall session, calling on the government to establish models of mental health like the centre.

Tibollo, who has made some overtures and promises that funding for projects like this, which divert people away from the emergency room, is the way of the future," Fife said.

The original article contains 702 words, the summary contains 177 words. Saved 75%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!