The “good old days” are a trick of the mind.

• sin_free_for_00_days@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Can’t read the paywall. But the headline sure seems like something Orwell would love

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” ― George Orwell, 1984

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Ah thanks. It is about the false belief that morally we are worse than before. Yeah, that makes sense. I thought from the headline it was general welfare of the earth, and that just didn’t make any sense.

• Aesthesiaphilia@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

News definitely has a vested interest in making us think things in general are getting eternally worse. For example, see the “there’s a recession coming! Any second! It’s coming…now! No wait let me try again…now! No? Well it’s coming soon, it’s almost here!” every day for the past what, 3 years?

Or for another example, you never see news stories about how the GHG emissions in the US have been falling every year. But they are.

Bad news sells better than good news.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

There is quite clear massive deaths happening to the ocean and it’s coral, for one. Global warming, warned about for decades, sure seems to have pushed over the tipping point recently. Wealth inequality, and the failure to maintain a livable minimum wage, world population fucking doubling in my lifetime, and <so on and so on>. Things are pretty shitty, and there is zero chance that the collective human spirit (or whatever) will do anything in time to stop what is going to be wide spread suffering. The people at the top, they like the way things are, fuck the rest of the world.

The good: well, people are generally safer (depending on where you live). People in general are still mostly nice. <- That is something that just about anyone who has traveled will attest to. Even in shitty countries, for the most part the people are pretty welcoming and nice. Traveling tends to give people a renewed appreciation of humanity.

But the article was about morality and if it’s become worse or better. I don’t think fundamental human nature changes much over the course of 2-3 generations.

• a_cat@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Great analogy.

As a person with anxiety, this is the real mind-fuck. The world keeps proving the things I worry about are valid. I’m supposed to work on not worrying so much about the future, but it’s saved me several times now.