Went to a restaurant in LA today and when I got the check I noticed that it was a bit higher than it should be. Then I noticed this 18% service charge. So… We, as customers, need to help pay for their servers instead of the owners paying their servers a living wage. And on top of that they have suggested tip. I called bs on this. I will bet you that the servers do not see a dime of this 18% service charge. [deleted a word so it wasn’t a grammatical horror to read]

• uberrice@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Well yeah, that was my point.

Americans for some reason love this 'low low price of x$ (+tax +tip +service charge +fuck you charge) thing. Here in Switzerland, it’s all in the price. Menu says 40 bucks, you pay 40 bucks. Tips are very voluntary and usually just a “round up” -> total is 57 - let’s make it 60.

My wife works in a restaurant and gets around 3.7k a month - the tips she gets add up to around 300-700, depending on the month. In the store she works, tips get handled as a pool where everyone gets their monthly share depending on hours worked (serving staff and kitchen) - so total tips x person hours / total hours by everyone.

It’s still a low wage (I make around than double her wage, but then again I’m an electrical engineer), but it is very livable - I lived on a lower wage alone comfortably when I was studying and only working 50%