Students in Massachusetts will get free lunch and breakfast at school thanks to a new 4% tax put on people who earn more than $1 million.

• Brokkr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I don’t think they can. States are allowed to tax their citizens and the Supreme Court has no jurisdiction.

• MostlyBirds@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Why are you so confident that they’ll still care about jurisdiction 2 years from now? The SCOTUS does not respect or obey the law or the constitution.

We’ve been watching them ignore more and more of the rules and precedents that the court has always held to. They’re becoming more and more confident in their ability to do whatever the fuck they want, because, as it turns out, in the real world, the SCOTUS is accountable to no one except maybe the mob violence that we are going to see when things continue to not improve.

• Brokkr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

First off, I absolutely will not defend the current Supreme Court. I disagree with them significantly.

However, their opinion in this matter has only slightly more importance then yours or mine, and only because they are recognized legal scholars (or at least they are supposed to be) and we are not. The US Constitution does not grant them any power to judge a State’s constitution, so long as it does not infringe on a right of the US constitution. It wouldn’t even be possible to petition the Supreme Court on this issue because no lower court would hear it.