Asking the question as it seems to be a recurrent issue among finance-aware people.

Also if people have tips to save money on eating out or cooking, feel free to share!

• transientDCer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I want to start doing more oven roasting, but my oven takes absolutely forever to heat up. I’ve even replaced the coil inside of it (electric stove). I’ve been debating on buying one of these new stoves that has two ovens, like a tiny one that should heat up fast and then the bigger one.

• frogfruit@discuss.online
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

We bought a countertop convection toaster oven that preheats within ~5 minutes. As a family of 2, it has pretty much replaced our oven usage, but a larger family might not like it as much. It can fit up to a 9x13 pan so that’s a small sheet pan or most casserole dishes.

It’s really nice that it doesn’t make the kitchen hot. It can also air fry decently, not as nice as a standalone air fryer, but it’s way more versatile. Ours is a ~ $300 Calphalon, pricier than most, but we use it almost daily, and the cheap Oster one we had before only lasted about a year. I’m sorry this sounds like an ad.

• transientDCer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

No that’s fine, I have a Ninja grill/air fryer combo and I use not all the time. My wife has a set of Calohalon pans that she really likes, so I know they’re a good brand.

• tburkhol@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Also consider a toaster oven. They come in sizes up to 12" or so, definitely big enough for 9x11 pans, and the small chamber means they heat up super fast. I have a gas range, but I keep an induction hotplate on top of one burner and a toaster oven, with convection, in the next room for smaller jobs. Keeps the CO2 and the heat down in the summer.