Asking the question as it seems to be a recurrent issue among finance-aware people.

Also if people have tips to save money on eating out or cooking, feel free to share!

• Valdair@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

We typically spend between $800~1400 between two people on all food in a given month. Granted that’s high, but considering that includes everything from grocery trips, meaning paper products, cat food, alcohol… one thing that was interesting for me looking at the data is our ratio of spend on eating out doesn’t strongly correlate to the total we spend for the month. For instance:

Month: May June July August (proj.)
    Groceries: $640 $500 $860 $820
    Eating Out: $250 $400 $570 $120
    Total Spend: $890 $900 $1430 $930
    Ratio (eating out/total): 28% 44% 40% 13%

July was a super high outlier overall, but it was driven by our grocery spending more than our eating out spending. Major contributing factors were meeting friends more often than usual (four weekends of providing alcohol) and a Costco run. Our eating out generally constitutes lots of runs to e.g. Subway, Chipotle. I get a $6 coffee ~once a month, my wife doesn’t drink coffee. We very rarely go down to sit-down restaurants and have a $50-100 meal, basically only for birthdays or anniversaries. That also hit in July (anniversary).

Part of what’s going on is I think rapidly fluctuating food prices and the fact that for the last ~year groceries had been so much more expensive than normal and a lot of “fast food” at least hadn’t appeared to update their prices at a comparable rate. So we might be spending $10 to make a meal for two at home or $20 to eat out together. So eating out ~twice a week vs. ~once a week barely registers on a typical monthly food spend.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Interesting figures, thanks for sharing!

• bakachu@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Current grocery prices have thoroughly discouraged me from any potential savings that may be had. My go to cheap homemade meal are chicken enchiladas and the 3 cans of enchilada sauce I needed were $4 apiece. $45 to make enchiladas all said and done, but more if we include gas and time. I could’ve gotten an overloaded enchilada plate from the Mexican restaurant down the street for $13. So completely agree with you on restaurant pricing seeming to be less affected than grocery pricing.