Baldur’s Gate 3 ritual spells allow you to cast magic without using a skill slot, meaning you can wield your powers and speak with as many animals as you wish.

• Hairyblue@kbin.socialOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Here’s a full list of BG3 ritual spells:

Detect Thoughts (Wizard)
    Disguise Self (Cleric, Wizard)
    Enhanced Leap (Druid, Wizard)
    Feather Fall (Wizard)
    Find Familiar (Wizard)
    Longstrider (Druid, Wizard)
    Silence (Cleric)
    Speak with Animals (Druid)
    Speak with Dead (Cleric)

I play a wizard and can cast any ritual spell I know out of combat without using up a spell cast slot. Even though the spell will list the cost as spell slot 1 or 2, it will cast without using the slot.

Out of combat, you just have to add the ritual spell to prepared spells, cast it then remove it and add another type of spell.

Other classes can add ritual spells as a perk at level 4.

(I made level 4 last night and looked into it when I saw the Ritual Spells perk. Wizards will not need to take this perk. They only need to learn/have ritual spells in their spell books.)

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Ritual spells are different than in 5e. You’re describing them nearly like they are in 5e except in 5e wizards can just use any ritual they have in their spell book. In 5e not every class can even use ritual spells as rituals. My paladin can use speak with animals as a ritual. They can’t do that in 5e. You don’t need the ritual caster feat. Any spell that’s tagged as a ritual can be a ritual in BG3.

• aesopjah@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It would be nice to just be able to cast the rituals from the spell list rather than ‘prepare’ them for 2 seconds each time

• ThayWiz Gwar@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I play wizard 100%, need to spend some time investigating Ritual Spells. I think I saw something about rituals while leveling up, but glossed over it. I cast Fire Bolt all the time out of combat to light braziers and the like, but I don’t think that’s the same thing (cantrip). Currently level 4 as well.

Wizards are the best.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Also, I didn’t know you could cast Flame Bolt to light braziers. I have been walking over and turn them on like a chump.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Wizard are the best at spells. I keep buying any wizard scroll I see and pick up any I find. I have scribed all the ones I don’t know to my book. So I have a lot of them now.

The ritual spells for the wizard are listed in this discussion and if you look at the spells in your book they will have the ritual label at the bottom.

They are sort of like cantrips but take up a prepared spot and are normally used out of combat. So you’d switch out a prepare combat spell for talk with animals, cast it and it does use up your spell cast count, and then remove it and select a spell that could be used for combat again.

• luxyr42@lemmy.dormedas.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Don’t scribe all spells until the level up bug gets fixed. If you have no spells to choose upon leveling up, you can’t level up that character.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

What level up bug? I’m still early on in my run, but this is the first I’ve heard of any such issue.

(I scribe all available spells. I will know them all.)

• Oldmandan@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Basically, the game forces you to choose two spells when leveling up; until you do, you can’t finish levelling. If you have insufficient spells available to learn (by way of scribing all spells that could be available to learn on level up), your Wizard gets softlocked at their current level. Can only happen on even levels, and only if you’ve been really meticulous about collecting spell scrolls. Just be sure to leave at least two spells unlearned going into even level ups, and you won’t have any issues.

• Anafroj@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

As a long time 5e DM, I’m amazed by how many times BG3 can slap me in the face with totally wrong rules implementations and I still love it.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

The amount of time I have spent thinking about what a real DM thinks of BG3s adaptations of 5e is too damn high. The rules are all wrong, but you get Matt Mercer.

• Anafroj@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I see it as “inspired by 5e”, then I enjoy the ride. :) In the end, in this videogame like around a table, what matters is the story and enjoyment of the players, rules are to be broken if they get in the way. That’s what I have to constantly remind myself when playing BG3. ^^ Plus, we get new lore in the Forgotten Realms, that’s what I’m the most interested in. And if I really want a break from very loose interpretation of the rules, there’s always Solasta.

• Neato@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

They’ve been gameified well. They still feel like the same rules. The abilities do the things you think they should do. They are just easier to parse and sometimes buffed a bit due to how many times you use them in the game.

And TBF, many of 5e’s RAW totally suck. I commiserate with Larian on not really wanted to do an expansion to BG3 at higher levels. They’ll have to do so much extra work to make the iconic spells not actually break the narrative. There’s no DM to just hand-wave away the bullshit when you Banish the BBEG or core NPC to the shadow realm plane.

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

It being called “ritual magic” I went into the article thinking it might have some details about that drider ritual you can find a bunch of stuff for, including a diagram of the actual ritual. I wanna be a spiderman… 😩

I ran into that in game and was hoping it actually had the ability to perform the ritual yourself.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

At my wizard’s level up at 4, I saved and tested a few feats. I took the Ritual Caster Feat (even though I already should have that as a wiz) and it let me pick 2 Ritual Spells. And I opened my spell book and there was a section for prepared spells and a separate section call always prepared with the 2 ritual spells I picked.

I think they should have that there for the Wizard with all the Ritual Spells he knows with the restriction that I can cast them in combat. And wizard should already have the Ritual Caster Feat as part of the wizard class.

• aesopjah@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Enhanced jump for the lols. So great for exploration as well as just getting the high ground or better positioning. Step of the wind + enhanced leap is just too hilarious