First of all, let’s try to avoid American-bashing, and stay respectful to everyone.

I’ll start: for me it’s the tipping culture. Especially nowadays, with the recent post on !mildlyinfuriating@lemmy.world with the 40% tip, it just seems so weird to me to have to pay extra just so that menu prices can stay low.

• Fleppensteyn@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

When I read about people being frugal, there’s always something like “I now go to restaurants only once a week”, “I’m driving the same car for 5 years”, “you don’t really need 10 subscriptions for x”. Do people really not cook their own food and spend money that much? My only subscriptions are internet and rent, and my savings would be gone if I’d get a car 🤷‍♂️

• max@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

“I discovered cooking at home” “Meal planning” “Dining in”

Bitch, that’s called Tuesday in most of the world.

• TurtleTourParty@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Are these by posts by newspapers, blogs, or normal people? Because all the people writing for newspapers and financial blogs seem to live in a different world than most Americans. The average car in the US is 12 years old for example.

• argv_minus_one@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

You also wouldn’t spend hours commuting to work every day. Cars are fast. I don’t know how it is in Europe, but in America, commute time is unpaid and cost of living is obscenely high, so cars are pretty much mandatory if you want to keep a roof over your head and get a full 8 hours of sleep.

• Fleppensteyn@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Here, cars are not fast. Cities are congested. When I worked on the other side of my small town, getting there by bike or by car cost the same amount of time. In bigger cities there is public transport.

We generally also don’t live hours away from where we work. I got rejected for a jobs because they didn’t believe I’d commute for an hour by car while looking for a new place

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

But then you have to live in a tiny apartment in the city. Housing in cities is extremely expensive (in terms of cost per square foot).

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

That’s not okay.

Dignified living is a suburban house with ample open floor space, a yard for the kids and pets to play in, and no HOA or building manager threatening you with homelessness and catastrophic debt unless you bow to his every whim.

That’s how I grew up, it was a hell of a lot nicer and less scary than the apartment I’m living in now, and housing costs have stolen that life from me. Now you’re telling me I should be happy with what my life has been reduced to? No, I am not happy about it. I am angry.

• uint8_t@feddit.de
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

In Germany HOAs aren’t a thing and by law you have quite good tenant rights. for example once you have an open ended rental contract, your landlord can’t really throw you out on their whim.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

Around here, they may not be able to arbitrarily throw me out, but they can decline to offer a new fixed-term lease when the current one expires, and rent automatically doubles if a fixed-term lease is not signed. Is that not a thing in Germany?

• uint8_t@feddit.de
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    11 months ago

next to no one gets fixed term leases here, and I think even if you would, after certain time, by law it implicitly changes into an open-ended one

• ebikefolder@feddit.de
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    7 months ago

There are just 4 or 5 legal reasons for a fixed term contract which have to be specified, and after a few (2 or 3) renewals (or the landlord lying about the reason), the contract becomes open end automatically.

• ebikefolder@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

An expensive apartment in the city might still be cheaper than a rural place plus the cost of a car (which you don’t need in the city).