I am interested to transition from a software engineer to a software architect. I would like to expand my knowledge on the subject.

What’s your must read list? Any books, articles, videos and courses are appreciated.

Right now I am reading Contious Architecture in Practice .

• infrainsight
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I like the books from the SEI (Software Engineering Institute), although its been a few years that I bought new ones (or lend a few to read through). The “Software Architecture in Practice” by Len Bass, Paul Clements and Rick Kazman is one that I do still consult. Another one is “Documenting Software Architecture” by Paul Clements, Felix Bachmann, Len Bass and a few others.

While I also have “Evaluating Software Architectures” I was a bit more disappointed there, although that might be because I was expecting more content steering whereas the book is more about the process of evaluation (using methodologies like ATAM). My current job is strongly within the non-functional area, so I might be more biased there.

These books are however quite heavy. It might be better to first focus on lightweight architecture practices and pattern books/resources, as well as see how rigid software architecture is handled within your company. There is little value in massively focusing on architectural governance, frameworks, methodologies, processes and the like if the organization isn’t tuned to this.