What do cell phones look like in the year 2144?

Obviously they won’t have a screen anymore. They’ll be pop-up displays. So if you’re sitting on a train and your romantic partner sends you a steamy selfie…guess who has an audience?

Has this annoyed anyone else?

If they’re tactical screens, that makes sense. But I still don’t think transparent displays on personal devices will be a thing in the future.

• Ser Salty@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Holograms are my gripe as well. Three dimensional holograms have at least some use, but those 2D holograms are always worse than just having a regular screen. They’re washed out, sometimes not even full colour just greyscale (or blue, yellow, whatever). You’d need hard light holograms that can produce solid objects like in Star Trek for them to be useful. Like, in that case you could hide displays while not in use, easily carry the small holo emitter around and adjust the size to your liking.

Another non-favorite of mine is the sci-fi bend. Where everything just has a 125 degree bend in it for some reason. Screens? Just cut out a bit at the corner with a 125 degree bend. Door? Seam down the middle will have a 125 degree bend in it. Wall panels? Random 125 degree bend in the line.