• Display name@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Reddit issues. I was also deciding between raddle.me Lemmy, kbin.social and Mastodon.

Let’s start with Reddit. I like it, but they came with the ridiculous API pricing. There are now protests due to that, and I support those. I used the official app, I used new Reddit website, theoretically it wouldn’t affect me, but that doesn’t mean I won’t care.

Mastodon: Seems like fediverse Twitter. Not interesting to me.

Raddle: The closest one to Reddit. The frontpage just has a bunch of memes centered around the same topic and political stuff. This makes it feel like a community rather than diverse social network. There are different communities (called forums) but there’s no way to search for them. You get alphabetically sorted list. That’s the biggest issue for me. I’ll keep an eye on it for the future.

kbin.social: Pretty much lemmy just with additional features. In fact it is even compatible with Lemmy. I just don’t know how to search up magazines from lemmy instances. I might try it too.

Lemmy: Overall seems the best. Communities, UI, usability. Next question is choosing instance. sh.itjust.works was simply easy to sign up on and I heard controversial stuff about lemmy.ml on Raddle and Hacker News. But this is just testing account. If I’ll settle for Lemmy, I’ll sign up on lemmy.sdf.org.

• Captain Aggravated@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m a Reddit refugee; The disconnect between what the site does and the site’s business model is or has led to trouble. I’ve known of the “fediverse” concept because of Mastodon for awhile, but I never really used Twitter so I also don’t use Mastodon. I toyed with the idea of trying it out a few times but always got hung up on the need to choose an instance. I was hit with that same “what don’t I know” feeling when picking a Lemmy instance, but sh.itjust.works had open signups and looked alright, so I figured this would by my “first try.”

• TacoButtPlug@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I was told to not choose lemmy.world because it was overwhelmed and thought the name for this instance suited me… later come to find it’s also an instance of mostly empathic nice and smart humans…