I just played a round of Machi Koro with a friend, and at a certain point, he was far behind. He didn’t have many buildings that grant money on other people’s turns, and the rest of us had also purchased a lot more red buildings than him.

I’m looking for ideas of house rules that make help provide some sort of catch-up mechanism if you’re far behind. Do any of you have any tips?

If it matters, we usually play with the Harbor expansion, but are willing to play without it as well. We’re already considering it because of how extreme the Tuna Boat can be.

• Rhynoplaz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Machi Koro is one of my favorites, but eventually you just see the same few strategies over and over.

Machi Koro 2 (as if we need an excuse to buy more games) randomizes the buildings that are available at any time, so it creates more balance and variety in gameplay.

We only play 2 anymore

• Rhynoplaz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I’m not familiar with 5/5/2, but I suspect it probably is.

MK2 is: (Lol, not to be confused with Mortal Kombat)

5 different cards <7, 5 different cards >6, and 5 different attractions, all available for purchase at all times.

• cabhanOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Thanks for that link! That does seem very similar to what I read about in Machi Koro 2, and I think we will definitely try it the next time we play.

• kyle@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

The sequel has infinitely more playability IMHO, I love it.