I feel like my eyes can only look at one thing at a time. I just have shortcuts to switch between programs.

Why do you prefer using a tiling WM and how do you use the tiling functionality in your workflow?

• Sonotsugipaa@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

The main reason I use a tiling WM is because I grew tired of having to drag my mouse all over the screen to switch maximised windows, cycling through them with hotkeys or, even worse, spending a fat minute resizing windows with surgical precision in order to have them both visible.

At first I used KDE’s ability to make them transparent, which was ok enough until I tried experimenting with Sway; now I have the habit of splitting the workspace in two, and swiftly resizing the window I want my focus on.
    In certain situations floating windows are more convenient, so I just Meta+F, make it a bit transparent, then drag it around.

If I really do not need nor want anything else on screen, Alt+Enter forces the window to its size, and if I want to look at the time or smth I have 9 other workspaces to switch to without any delay.

The downside of tiling WMs is that no desktop PC software developer considers their existence, and most applications don’t like being forcefully resized.
    Also, popups often take half the screen - I can’t even blame anyone, portable graphical libraries and frameworks do not expect that popups need special treatment for the WM to display them correctly.