• Farid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

There’s really no reason to be mad at them in this particular instance. Their client is Chromium-based (Electron) so they will optimize their new features for that engine first. There’s probably less than 5% users who Discord from browser, let alone Firefox, and I think I’m being generous with that number. Additionally, some things are harder to implement (or even impossible) in native web rather than Electron, that has all the NodeJS integrations.

• ehrenschwan@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

File upload is not a chromium feature, it’s a super old basic feature. It’s just their pittiness and upcoming drm implications. I bet if you set your user-agent to chrome it woould work just fine.

• NotAPenguin@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Firefox doesn’t implement the AudioData API, which is probably necessary for the waveform viewer and cropping tool Discord presents in the soundboard management UI.

Not everything is about Chrome DRM yall.

Edited to add screenshot of spoofing user-agent on Firefox and getting an error:

https://midwest.social/pictrs/image/4edb0d24-0c2a-4610-b7b2-eed07a3c7d24.png

Here’s what happens when you spoof a Chrome user-agent.

https://midwest.social/pictrs/image/d3b96401-956b-4eab-bc5c-64b0743feae4.png

-kibiz0r@midwest.social

• themoonisacheese@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

This dialog doesn’t do just file upload, after you upload you can cut the sound file into a 4-second clip, inside the client. My bet is that it might technically be possible to do it in Firefox, but not with the same exact code as with chromium, and thus they decided they don’t care.

• redcalcium@lemmy.institute
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

You’re probably right. A modern browser that supports webassembly can do literally anything, implementing the missing AudioData functionality should be possible with enough development effort, but it’s not important enough for them to make this particular feature works on Firefox.

• Farid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I haven’t used soundboard yet, but I’m pretty sure it isn’t “just” an HTML5 file upload. Perhaps it’s as you said, they run checks on the file being uploaded. Maybe it will work, maybe it will crash in some use cases because they don’t have a polyfill for some specific API they use. So instead of dealing with user complaints about crashes they just disabled the feature.
        I’m also not sure why you’re upset with Discord for implementing DRM for uploaded files. If they don’t, they will get sued by the companies enforcing that DRM, so hate on those companies instead.