I was recently diagnosed with Chornic Depression, and one of the things my doctor mentioned is that Adult Men with Autism (me) are at a much higher risk for Depression.

I made this thread for two reasons:

1. How many of you are in the same boat? I’m not medicated yet, but I’ll be having a meeting with my GP today to discuss options. I’m curious what other’s experiences have been like. What medications worked for you? Which ones were awful?

2. Awareness. I have a feeling this is known to most of you, but if you’re struggling and haven’t considered that Depression may be at play, it’s something to consider. I wasn’t suicidal, but was getting close. I don’t want to see any of you go through that, or worse.

• uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I faced the reverse. School psychs (and peers) knew I was a bit odd since grade school. In my early 20s I was diagosed with major depression. At 27 it became anaclitic depression

Then in my late 40s I was diagnosed as ASD which runs parallel with my gender apathy.

Also, by this time I see the mental health epidemic across the states as pervasive and intergenerational, likely the result of how the industrial revolution has changed society and neglected the needs of individual persons, We’re all mad here. Just some are high functioning and don’t ever get assessed for mental illness, instead drinking like Ian Flemming,