What are some good recommendations on books (physical or digital) on photography I can read to become a better photographer?

I have had my Nikon D3200 for about a year now and am having lots of fun with it. Now that I will soon have some time off from work, I want to improve my skills and become a better photographer.

I have learned and now understand the basics of the exposure triangle and how to use these settings to create different effects as desired.

What I think I need the most is to become better at composition and finding the right angles that give a shot its depth.

What literature would you recommend I read during my time off to become better?

You can see my journey in my posts here on Lemmy, or for a more easily digestible format, check out my Mastodon account.

If something needs more information, just ask, and I’ll reply.

I appreciate any advice you have for me.

• zcd@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

“Understanding Exposure” Is great for the technical aspects of photography, and for the soft skills take a look at Ansel Adams’ books

• zcd@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

I think he does a great job of explaining how he thought about his pictures before taking them. How they were composed, exposed and developed to say what he wanted to say with each photo. He was from a time when you had to haul a heavy ass camera out into the wilderness and up a mountain, guess the correct exposure, with only a few chances to get the shot, and no way to know how it was going to look until you get back to your dark room and start working on the plate/film. The stakes were so much higher for each shot, I feel like his insights are extremely valuable nowadays, where the machine-gun photography approach is so common

• mrpants@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Also consider getting some portfolios of photographers you like. Really worth it for ideas and getting a sense of what makes a photo good or not.

• The Soca Vault @lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I feel that nobody can teach you angles, it’s what you see and you perceive through the lens. You make the shots, and then edit them to make them better. I personally like to keep the f to 2.8 to blur the background, but it all depends on what you are shooting.

But books to read - Photography for Dummies - that’s the one I went with. Lol