fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Yea hahaha whod collect shit they’ll never make any use of

looks at my steam library

Looks at my bookshelf

Looks at my to-watch list on Amazon/Netflix/et. al.

leaves quietly

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I save up tons of open discussion threads, articles, GitHub pages, etc on my phone or computer over time. Eventually, I pick a day to just blast through as many as possible, closing them as I go. I’ve spent so many hours of my life trying to close out stuff that is no longer relevant (but still unread) because I was approaching the max number (500) of open tabs on my phone.

It’s a consequence of being curious, lazy, and impatient at the same time.

• connaisseur@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Assuming it is Safari browser on iOS… and if you just want all your tabs gone in seconds: just long press „Done“ in tab view and a „Close all“ option will appear.

• brbposting@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

And first you can long press the name of the tab group and select “copy links” if you want to paste them into a note for posterity

And this is what grandpa was browsing in July 2024

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Thanks, I know. The point is to build a reading list for later when I have a long window of free time.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I use Pocket for things I wanna find again later, but that’s after I’ve already read it. If I just go directly to Pocket without reading it’ll get forgotten.

• Todd Bonzalez@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I have 65TB of media in my collection and growing.

The point isn’t that I’m going to consume all of it, but that I have all of it to consume.

People would buy encyclopedia collections, but they wouldn’t normally read them cover-to-cover, it was just nice having a big reference.

Downloading 40,000 hours of obscure music isn’t about listening to all of it, it’s about shuffling it and discovering hidden gems.

Downloading 5,000 movies isn’t about marathoning movies full-time. It’s about having my own personal Netflix, but only with the stuff I deliberately gathered.

Downloading every single PlayStation / Sega / Nintendo game means that I can take gameplay requests instantly from friends. Nobody asks “do you have x”, they know I do. We just play games.

Same with Karaoke. The more songs the better, that’s why I have 150,000 karaoke tracks. Even my Japanese and Korean friends get what they want.

• 9point6@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

But my friend, by downloading all this shit from the internet archive I, too, become an archivist!

• BubbleMonkey@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I have a collection of over 80k ebooks. I got most of them in huge download packs decades ago, and removed duplicates. it’s a surprisingly small folder.

I did the math on it long ago and it would take more than 200 years, reading an average of one full book a day, every day, to get through them all.

So I’m happy just knowing that if I get through some of them, it’s better than none of them. Time is limited, make the most of it by doing what sparks joy, and not worrying about what you didn’t get to.

• norimee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I have a bookmark folder with links to interesting articles that I plan to read someday…

• RightHandOfIkaros@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Excuse you, you can’t download books from Internet Archive anymore, you can only rent one of their 10 digital copies (thanks publishing companies).

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Blame internet archive for acting like they weren’t violating copyright for some things. They screwed the pooch for us

• pete_the_cat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I finally cleared out my “e-books” folder on Google Drive which had PDFs from like 10-15 years ago that I’ve never read 🤣

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Ooh, every SNES game in one handy download.

*plays 2 of them, for like 10 minutes*

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I don’t because I don’t really have the storage space. But I would if I could afford to, just so that I could have the folder shared on soulseek. Preserve and share, especially the niche, oop, or otherwise hard to find literature.

So I just keep the stuff I will read, which is still a pretty big chunk of data, despite ebooks being fairly small individually.