Just that

• iNeedScissors67@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

For me it simply came down to the fact that I prefer the layout, and it’s also nice knowing I can block whole domains (looking at you, furry spammers). It also integrates with Mastodon if that’s your thing (it’s not my thing), and I have high hopes for the ability of Ernest (the founder and only dev, to my knowledge) to usher it in a good and healthy direction. I can see all content from Lemmy and interact with it though, so it really just comes down to personal preference.

• OldFartPhil@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Same here. I like the look, usability and layout of Kbin better. I do wish there were more users here at kbin.social, though, as the federated feed is more lively on the large Lemmy instances.

• Kierunkowy74@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I do wish there were more users here at kbin.social, though, as the federated feed is more lively on the large Lemmy instances.

kbin.social has more MAU (Monthly Active Users) now, than all Lemmy combined! That is of course effect of the spike this month and shall fade only on July, but did you already see activity on kbin.social alone fading?

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

If I understand how the fediverse works (an open question :-)), the amount of activity on the home page/“all” feed/federated feed of an instance is dependent on how many magazines/communities the members are subscribed to. I’ve noticed that the “All” feed of the most established Lemmy instances have more posts than here at kbin.social. I would anticipate that situation improving over time as the community here grows and people increase the number of subscriptions they have. I would expect more (and more active) local magazines over time here, as well.

• LambentMote@lemmy.nz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I suspect that may have something to do with kbin.social’s federation not working during it’s initial growth period. Lots of users joined up but could only subscribe to local communities. The more we embrace federated content the smaller the differences between each platform/instance.

• callyral@readit.buzz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

i’m a furry and out of the loop here, what’s going on with “furry spammers”? i saw this mentioned twice now which can’t be a coincidence

• wreel@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Is kbin supported with a mobile app. I’ve been on Jerboa for Lemmy and it’s been pretty ok for beta.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

There’s one on the way to a beta (Artemis) but I just used the Firefox feature to place a webapp on my phone so I click that and it immediately opens in Firefox.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

The kbin mobile website works fine in Safari on the iPhone, too. Looks just like the website adapted for a smaller screen and has all the same functionality. With the exception of notifications, it’s fine. And it’s early days, people will develop apps for the platform.

• moralpanic@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Will apps made for Lemmy (like Sync for Lemmy that was just announced) work with Kbin? Or is it a different API entirely?

• root_beer@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It’s called Artemis now, and you can sign up to beta test. For those who aren’t aware, check @hariette’s profile, she’s been posting pretty frequently about it

• mrnotoriousman@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah I tried both Lemmy and Kbin when the reddit protest started and just really like the kbin UI/experience a lot more. It also comes up pretty nice on mobile too without an app.

• Lucien@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Good God. On beehaw I had to block every furry community separately. Talk about annoying.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Oh God. About 6 years ago I was in Pittsburgh for work. I did get to see a Bruins/Penguins playoff game so that was nice, but I was at a Bridge conference (for people who design and build bridges, not the card game). Several hotel employees and taxi drivers warned me that a furry conference was coming the day our bridge conference ended. That was the first time I heard the term “furries”. Then they descended upon the city while I was still there. To this day it’s still the most intense culture shock I’ve ever had.