I want to make my programming language! …for fun.

I’ve been reading LLVM’s own tutorial, which is really good. I’m curious though, for those of you who have written your own languages before… What do you wish you had known before you set out?

In terms of previous experience, I have written a really basic lexer and parser for a non-executable markup language I designed. Now I’m curious about the next level. I have some ideas for a language design I’d like to try out. The language features themselves are nothing new - I’m sure some other language out there has done these things and done it better. That’s fine! I just want to better understand how all this stuff hangs together.

• cerement@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago
    • WAY back in the annals of computer history
      • the Dragon Book – the definitive book, but very much a classroom book (VERY dry reading)
      • SICP – looking at how to program (and thus why programming languages are built the way they are)
    • much more recent
  • K2yfi@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

As someone who’s spent way too much time languishing over picking the perfect parsing technique for my own language, I’m actually gonna go against the norm and recommend figuring out the parser later. Instead you should start with building your language’s ASTs directly in memory and then from there, either build a backend for converting ASTs to LLVM IR, or what I’d actually do first is just start with an interpreter executing directly on the ASTs. This way you figure out the mechanics of your language, and then when they’re well established, you can worry about your syntax, and how to parse it into ASTs. There’s a lot you learn about your language by doing it this way that you don’t necessarily think about if you just start from the parser. It also let’s you see real progress/output sooner which I think is key for staying motivated on these kinds of projects.

When it comes time to actually write the parser, I recommend either just hand crafting a parser directly, or using an existing parser generator tool like gnu bison, etc. I do not recommend trying to write your own parser generator (e.g. LR(k), LALR, LL(k), etc.) unless your language’s syntax is particularly simple. Speaking from experience, real languages have many common syntax features we take for granted that are hard to deal with in parser generators. In my case, I spent years bogged down exploring/implementing several state of the art parser algorithms (I’m a fan of generalized parsing, so Earley, GLR, SRNGLR, GLL, etc), and really only recently made any decent progress when I decided to trash them and just hand write a dumb recursive-descent-esque parser. Once things are working, it’s pretty easy to go back and swap out the parser if you want something more fancy.

• TheLinuxGuy@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I agree on avoiding on the idea of avoiding having to make your own parser generator, this is precisely what I’m doing and it’s hell. I assumed that you probably want to pick up some understanding on how parser differs when it come to writing grammars. As for ease of use and requiring the least understanding, using something like Earley parser is probably the easiest, it would be slower than other parser algorithms, but it could handle ambiguous grammars making it ideal for first timers to learn how to write a programming language.

• philm@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I just default to recursive descent parsers (with pratt parsing), simple, efficient, great error messages and almighty (CFGs). For quick prototyping I really like to use https://github.com/zesterer/chumsky currently (pratt parsing was just added, need to try that out again).

But writing a parser generator is certainly an interesting academic task.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Very nice, I was basically forking off Python Lark and rewriting it in C language, with some adjustments to Earley Parser in an experiment to parallelize the processing in Vulkan Compute.

• MakeAvoy@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’ve been following the book Crafting Interpreters which makes a language slightly similar to lua but with bracketed blocks and other small changes. This is a stack based interpreter which feels like a great place to start. There’s also register based which seems to use more of a word code to bytecode approach but couldn’t tell you much else the differences. I’d highly recommend building an interpreter first as this is a virtual machine and you can make your own fake assembly with less consequences. Writing a real native code compiler is a lot harder if you don’t have that baseline under your belt, but you do you if you’re confident in your knowhow!

I guess the biggest takeaway i’ve come across is you can make functions without too much headache, but closures are much harder, you need to move local variables off the stack and onto the heap. Not sure how register handles it

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I definitely recommends that you start learning about the LL(k), LALR, and perhaps even Earley Parser algorithms. I am assuming you have picked up a little bit on LL(1) parser and some basic lexer, so mastering the parser algorithms are basically the next stop for you.

Once you get the grasp of those things, you are well on your way to designing a programming language.

• TheCee@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

What do you wish you had known before you set out?

If you plan to create an imperative language: If you want to make everthing an expression make sure you understand all implications.