I guess most of us have franchise fatigue, so what is your favorite original movie of 2022?

• ExcursionInversion@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

No real order

• The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
    • Barbarian
    • Bodies Bodies Bodies
    • Everything Everywhere All at Once
    • Bullet Train
    • 6daemonbag@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Finally saw it on an airplane. It really is that good, although I wish I’d seen it on a larger screen without the airline’s watermark floating by

• triptrapper@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I know that for myself, when I get pressured to watch a certain movie, or see it in a certain context (in theaters, or all in one sitting, etc.) it makes me less motivated to watch it.

That said, I feel strongly that Everything Everywhere should be watched in one sitting, with as little distraction as possible. It’s so dense with energy and emotion and it’s an absolute joy. I had the privilege of seeing it in theaters when it was re-released, and it was an unforgettable experience.

• quinnly@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Banshees of Inisherin. Might end up as my best of the decade, I know it’s early but I truly loved that film. .

• bird@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Between Everything Everywhere, Banshees (probably my fave), Bodies3x, and Northman (and others I haven’t seen), 2022 was a truly fantastic year for original movies.

And while it was a franchise movie, Prey was also one of my favorites of the year.

• echoplex21@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The Northman. Seeing Eggers with a huge budget was a sight to behold. Incredible cinematography and great performances from Skarsgard, Kidman, Claes, Defoe (man there’s so many to name). I love seeing Norse culture and mythology as well (play Hellblade if you ever get the chance).

I’m not sure if it’s considered an “original” considering it’s an adaptation of the classic The Lion King.

• thoro@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Aftersun.

Absolutely stunning and moving debut film.

Banshees, EEAAO, and Tar follow closely behind it, but that was so far the one that sticks with me most.

Still have a lot to watch from last year

• TheImpressiveX@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I mostly watch franchise movies, but as for my favorite non-franchise film of 2022, I’m torn between Ambulance and Marcel the Shell With Shoes On. I watched them both on a plane ride and took an immediate liking to both.

• freamon@endlesstalk.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The Artifice Girl.

Accomplished debut feature from writer/actor/director Franklin Ritch - uses a bunch of filmmaking tricks to produce an engrossing sci-fi film, even though there’s zero VFX, and I didn’t even realise it’s just a few people talking in rooms until it was over.

RT Link

• Voroxpete@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

My top movies for the year were:

• Glass Onion
    • Everything Everywhere All At Once
    • The Batman
    • The Menu
    • All Quiet on The Western Front

If you put a gun to my head, I’d pick Everything Everywhere, with The Menu and Glass Onion a very close second and third.