• jimmydoreisalefty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

That person and two other sources said many donors joined hoping to get an insider’s view of how to move forward in the wake of President Joe Biden’s dismal debate performance and the growing number of Democrats calling for him to drop out of the race. Instead, they said donors left the call feeling disappointed and like they had not gained any new insights or helpful information.

The call had been organized by Jen O’Malley Dillon, the chair of Biden’s campaign, and not by the campaign’s finance team, according to a source familiar with the planning. One of the sources who was on the call said that the donors who participated represented a wide range of views — some diehard Biden fans, some unconvinced about his path forward and many views in between.

“Please help us turn down the volume on this conversation publicly,” Melissa Morales, founder and president of Somos Votantes, said on the call, according to a transcript obtained by NBC News. “It’s time to stop the leaks and the rampant rumors. Your message has been heard and received. But every day that we continue this publicly chaotic conversation, we come closer to a loss — no matter who the nominee is.”

“These are donors who are not used to getting admonished and told what to do,” the source said.

“She is on a tightrope. She has to be very careful not to alienate Biden,” Alickman said when asked about Harris praising Biden throughout the speech. “I actually would like to see Kamala at the top of the ticket. She could carry out and continue the policies of the Biden administration. I love Biden but I’m not sure he is up to the job. And, I’m worried he is going to lose against Trump.”

“I love Joe,” Newton said. “In a business context, it’s like your 81 year old salesman that’s goofed up at the convention and not making his numbers. And, you gotta go in and tell him, ‘Judy is replacing you.’ It’s no fun. But sadly that has to happen.”