• grue@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I feel like the “/s” isn’t enough to express just how much that’s Not How This Works, 'cause there are some people who think that actually makes sense.

For those, I’ll spell it out: with anything based on a percentage, such as tipping, increases due to inflation are already built in. Inflating the percentage as well is multiplying the increase!

(This is also why “we need to increase the tax rate due to inflation” is also bullshit and any politician who says it is trying to pull one over on the public, by the way.)

• Mog_fanatic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I feel like this is just not talked about enough. I will never understand why the discussion is what percentage is enough. The percentage would always be enough. The value will increase so long as the price does. But it’s like people just gloss over that and are like “well back in the day 15% was enough but now? It’s gotta be 50%”

• ryper@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

This is also why “we need to increase the tax rate due to inflation” is also bullshit and any politician who says it is trying to pull one over on the public, by the way.

Incomes haven’t been increasing anywhere near inflation, so increasing income tax rates to cover increased government spending caused by inflation wouldn’t be “bullshit”. Increasing sales tax rates would be, though.