I know very few people in the world have access to hot springs, but I just thought people here might find this information as interesting as I do.

Japan:

Cooking Eggs:

In some other places, hot-spring pools can become a neighborhood egg-cooking spot. In Japan, these eggs are called Onsen Tamago (温泉卵), and are slow-cooked in the natural spring water.

The result is a unique custard-like texture in the yoke, while the whites are soft.

“It is said to have originated in Onsen Towns in Beppu, Oita prefecture. It is said that the first Onsen Tamago was made over 300 years ago when a traveler left his eggs in a hot spring by accident and found them cooked when he returned." MyFormosaFood

More Info:

Steam Cooking

“It is a cooking method using high-temperature steam heat gushing from hot springs, and it has been used in Beppu since the Edo period. Just put the ingredients in a basket, put them in a pot where steam of about 100 degrees called “Hell Steaming Kettle” and cover it.” | Jigoku Mushi

At tables equipped with timers and hot-spring powered steam cookers, you can steam your own food.

Heating Greenhouses:

“Hot springs are used to heat greenhouses for different types of fruit and vegetables. At Atagawa Spa on the Izu Peninsula, the Atagawa Tropical & Alligator Garden cultivates tropical plants like banana trees and bougainvillea.” | Nipponia

By piping the heat into radiators, they can heat and humidify the greenhouses with no electricity.

Iceland:

Volcano Bread

Cooking rye bread with the help of a volcano has a long history in Iceland. All you had to do was dig a hole near a hot-spring, place the dough (which is in a container) in the hole, and burry it.

The boiling water will steam the dough to a dense but soft texture.

Hopefully you remember to mark where the hole is, but if you did, you will have freshly cooked bread with no need of an oven. As an extra bonus, you can also cook some eggs when you are there.

More info:

• JacobCoffinWrites@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Very cool! Also just wanted to say I really appreciate these posts with their mix of text and images. Thanks for highlighting so many cool solarpunk concepts!

• JacobCoffinWrites@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I don’t know if you’d find it worthwhile to put them all in one place too, but if you do, PoVoq (who runs the site) got the Movim microblogging platform set up and linked with Lemmy so if you have an account here, you can just start using it. It also uses the same markup language as Lemmy so you can just set a Lemmy post to edit, copy it, and paste it over there. I use it for my making and fixing stuff projects.

• fireweed@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I’ve had onsen tamago, and they’re closer to raw eggs than soft boiled eggs. Still yummy, but “cooked” is perhaps overselling it. (Eating raw or barely cooked eggs in Japan is extremely common, to the point that I don’t think I saw a fully-cooked egg in all the years I lived there. Even their omelettes are runny.)

• tigeruppercut@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Really depends on how hot the onsen is and how long you leave the eggs in. There’s one near me with a sign listing minutes for what style you want the eggs to come out.

• fireweed@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Sounds like your area takes their eggs more seriously than where I’ve been! Do you know how close to hard-boiled they can get? I kind of assume they have a topping-out point below fully-cooked-yolk.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

I just found a picture of the sign:

お持ち帰りになれる方は15分(余熱固くなります)
          その場で食べられる方は17分
          固めが好きな方は20分以上

*約71Cです。ゆでで卵になりません

15 minutes for those who can take it home (residual heat hardens it)
          17 minutes for those who can eat on the spot
          20 minutes or more for those who like it hard

*It is about 71C. It will not be boiled egg.

So yeah, looks like it won’t come out like a hard boiled egg-- the closest is that 20+ mins “katame” being “somewhat firm”.

I usually don’t make them in the summer because when I go I always want to use the nearby foot bath and it’s already hot as hell so I just end up sweating even more. But the eggs are really good and it’s been awhile so maybe I’ll head back out there soon.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Yeah I think with the lower temp they never get truly hard, but I’ve never tried for too long because I like them on the softer side. Maybe I’ll leave one in a really long time as an experiment

• keepthepace@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

“onsen tamago” is just a name for a boiling style, it is rarely done in an onsen water, many restaurants will propose it.

Another popular one is the “perfect egg” with a solid white but a liquid yolk (my favorite!)

Where I was living “omelette” was a word for the runny kind, but the well cooked one (much more common) is tamagoyaki

• fireweed@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Oh right I completely forgot about tamagoyaki, probably because it’s not pure egg, it has other ingredients mixed in too. But yes, those are thoroughly cooked!

• keepthepace@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I was invited once in a nice traditional onsen and at one point realized that between the polished stones and the bamboo pipes fed directly by hot springs, the raw fish and the rice served in traditional pottery, I was enjoying a luxury vacation in a place using mostly prehistoric tech. That changed my view (a bit) on tech paths.

If only we had kept our population low enough to only live in places where life is particularly easy, well… life would be particularly easy!

• Blair@slrpnk.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Thanks for sharing! I love it. That sounds like it would be amazing, and the area looks so pretty too!

• averyminya@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I learned about Volcanic Bread from Gordon Ramsey of all people. Really enjoy the concept, it’s awesome.

Great post!