• dejected_warp_core@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

either you poison your body with chemicals

One huge reason why I’m considering getting out. My immune system is very angry because of this.

nagging you every two minutes

I make no apologies for anyone on this: we lost our way. My best guess is that at some point, we had this down pat by bringing a “touch of class” to dining establishments through emulating servant culture of the early 1900’s. This is well portrayed in costume drama as near-psychic level ability to anticipate the diner’s (master’s) needs in a well-choreographed experience. That only works if you can anticipate people through a long-term working relationship, or diners have very well-rehearsed table manners. I think it got corrupted over time as a lot of this fell out fashion, and what we’re left with is diners that are wholly unpredictable and wait staff that have no idea what they’re emulating.

Local Korean restaurants around town brought their dining culture with them, and it’s loads better. Wait staff have their head on a swivel from the waiter’s station, but only engage when flagged down. This is immeasurably more pleasant.