• mookulator@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I appreciate the idea but this is a little misleading. They chose to label transportation for farmers markets but not CSA boxes. There is obviously transportation involved in both.

They highlight delivery as a step in the food delivery service, but don’t label it similarly when the consumer goes to the store to pick it up. I might argue there’s efficiency in having one delivery driver vs everyone acting as their own delivery driver.

• lunarul@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I might argue there’s efficiency in having one delivery driver vs everyone acting as their own delivery driver.

Afaik food delivery services have drivers fulfill orders one by one. So it’s essentially the same thing if you go there yourself or if the delivery driver does it.

It’s more efficient when one truck delivers to multiple people. Like CSA boxes. Instead of each of those people driving their own car to the store/market and back, there’s one car that delivers to them all in a single route.

• IndiBrony@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Here in the UK it depends what delivery service you’re using. Supermarkets have a dedicated team of staff who organise approximately 45±10 deliveries per van per day. One store I worked for had 21 vans.

That helped save the journey of approximately 900 people. I think most would agree having 20 vans on the road is preferential to having 900 cars.

On the flip side, we also have services which deliver from small local shops and get basic shopping supplies to you within an hour, and these are far less efficient in terms of their footprint.