• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I have to say I was against replacing Biden, but seeing how salty some of the want-to-kill-America crowd is getting about it, I am starting to warm significantly to Harris

• frog_brawler@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I was pro replacing Biden up until about Thursday of last week, and then I sorta resolved myself to him staying around. On Friday and Saturday I was hopeful that he’d get some kinda boost from something, somewhere, but I didn’t have any ideas as to what that would be.

When he announced he wasn’t going to be running yesterday I was a bit stunned. I wanted to take a slow approach to processing what was going on.

After reading what I’ve read today, I’m genuinely excited for a Harris / ??? ticket. I think she probably dropped out of the race so early in 2020 because she was going to be given this opportunity in 2024 if she dropped 2020. Looks like it’s working out now. In retrospect, and putting the pieces together today, I don’t think Biden was ever going to be the 2024 candidate; but that the strategy was to wait to make the switch until after the RNC. In hindsight, I am actually approving of what the Democrats are doing for once and not embarrassed that they’re too conservative, or rolling over.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I was pro replacing Biden two years ago, and anti replacing him now. This is a disaster, and I hope Harris can pull it together. It is exactly what Trump and the Republicans wanted.

But I am encouraged by the first steps her campaign has taken. It only makes me angrier at Biden, though.

Edit: Ok downvote me like the candidate dropping out after the primaries and before the convention isn’t a disaster, or it isn’t exactly what Trump wanted.

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

My only issue with replacing Biden is that the libs will have a stab-in-the-back myth or some other story to tell themselves instead of “Triangulating our policies to be as dogshit as possible without passing the republicans depresses voter turnout”.

This is a wonderful case study for that. When the dems lose after 4 years of chasing moderate republicans, are you going to blame democrats for the electoral effects of their policies or the masses without any political power?

• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

My only issue with replacing Biden is

Not true, I am extremely confident that if I look over your history I can find some instance of some reason why Harris is an unsuitable replacement

the libs will have a stab-in-the-back myth or some other story to tell themselves

No idea what you’re even talking about

“Triangulating our policies to be as dogshit as possible without passing the republicans depresses voter turnout"

I need to make up a little song incorporating half a trillion dollars spent on climate change, massive corporate tax increases, higher wages for working people, and a stronger NLRB backstopping all these union gains from the last few years. I’ve literally typed the list so many times that my brain starts to glaze over and get bored before I can finish typing it.

Honestly, that’s part of why I didn’t want to replace Biden with Harris, is that Biden was inarguably a step forward for people who exist in the non-millionaire world, which our system doesn’t produce all that often, and I was reluctant to let him go.

• AbidanYre@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I’ve literally typed the list so many times that my brain starts to glaze over and get bored before I can finish typing it.

Just put together the bullet points and let ChatGPT do the rest.

• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

Eh, I actually tried that at one point, because the mods got mad at me for copy-pasting a long and detailed list of things with citations that Biden had done, on every one of those arguments whenever someone would ask what Biden has ever done for the average American. I wasn’t happy with the results though. I more or less just resigned myself to typing out the whole list in Jesus-Christ-not-this-shit-again short summary list format.

• davidagain@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Thank you very much for taking the time and the trouble and for making the rest of us a bit better informed.

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Not true, I am extremely confident that if I look over your history I can find some instance of some reason why Harris is an unsuitable replacement

I mean I’ve called her copmala and been horrified at her saying she believed Tara Reid at a debate, and then accepting VP because “It was a debate”, but next to the '94 crime bill guy, she looks like a prison abolitionist, and a rapist’s VP is still an improvement to the rapist himself.

No idea what you’re even talking about

You haven’t seen all the articles pissed off at the dems and the news for turning on Biden? Hell even here on Lemmy there were people that way. Even though electorally, only the 65+ “don’t take my car-keys” constituency showed greater preference for Biden than kamala.