• HomerianSymphony@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

just so long as you personally don’t have to feel anything on your “conscience”.

And if you’re willing to do unconscionable things because your twisted logic tells you it’s actually for the greater good, then you’re not much different from Biden.

• agamemnonymous@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

The rest of us do know how to do the right thing. You’re not doing anything, your lily-white inaction is moral masturbation. Doing the right thing requires considering the suffering of others over your own passive comfort. Often that means making tough decisions. How much will suffering increase because puritanical children refused to sully their hands on anyone who wasn’t perfect? Childish and simplistic.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

Doing the right thing requires considering the suffering of others

That’s what I’m doing.

And you’re trying to spin that as something selfish, as if I don’t have to live with the consequences of US politics as a gay man.

• Slyntax@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I honestly don’t know how to write this so it doesn’t sound like I’m attacking you but I’m going to try.

Disclaimer, Kamala Harris hasn’t stated anything on her stance involving Israel/Gaza conflict yet (as the presidential nominee), so my statements below may be a non-issue for you come election time anyway…

While it might feel like “doing the right thing” by not voting or voting third party, you are giving a vote to Trump if you do so, which is worse. It fucking sucks that we have this shitty two party system and all of sane people who aren’t just “my team vs your team” hate it… but I really hope you decide that your vote won’t be for Kamala but against Trump, since he will be far worse, not only for Gaza but Ukraine as well.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

It is though. We’ve effectively been given the Trolley Problem, and instead of playing you’re choosing to walk away and whatever happens, happens, as long as you feel good.

I’m sure Biden feels fucking awful about what’s going on. But he was elected to do the job the best he can and unfortunately a psychopath that we have little control over is in charge of Israel. Until something can be done about him. America has to play nice.

Netanyahu wants Trump. Not voting Democrat gives him a better chance.

Again, it really sucks but the presidential election is a unfortunately two party.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

We’ve effectively been given the Trolley Problem, and instead of playing you’re choosing to walk away

That’s exactly what I would do if I were driving the trolley. I’m not going to choose to sacrifice some people who otherwise weren’t in danger, even if it saves a larger number of people.

I would do what I can to trying to save the larger number of people (by trying to fix the trolley’s brakes, etc), but I’m not going to kill an unrelated group of innocent people to do it.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

I’m sure Biden feels fucking awful about what’s going on.

I think he fuckin’ loves it, because he’s a racist piece of shit. He thinks brown people are supposed to submit to their white colonial overloads, and the Palestinians are getting what they deserve for being troublemakers.

He’s from a generation where that was almost universally believed. He probably hates that he has to pretend he believes otherwise.

Unfortunately a psychopath that we have little control over is in charge of Israel. Until something can be done about him. America has to play nice.

Biden is HELPING Israel commit genocide. Biden is using his UN Security Council veto to prevent the UN from acting against Israel. He is sending Israel munitions and billions of dollars.

Biden is not a bystander. He is an active and enthusiastic participant.

Edit: And the Democrats all suck for acting as if what Joe Biden is doing is normal. The Democrats, as a party, don’t deserve to exist anymore. If Trump weren’t a fascist, I wouldn’t be considering voting for the Democrats at all.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

He vetoed cease-fire agreements that called for permanent cease-fires but without the release of hostages as a condition to the cease-fire*. All that does is give Hamas time to recoup without any stipulations, leading to an even longer war. They are a terrorist organization hiding behind Palestinians and hostages.

Listen, I am by no means a fan of Israel. Their treatment of the Palestinian people has been atrocious but, regardless of who is president, weapons will be sold to Israel by the US.

Your edit about democrats only being a player here because Trump is a fascist is a real problem. A problem that you can directly affect with your vote/non-vote.

*The release of hostages is mentioned but not as a condition… meaning the agreement called for a cease-fire with or without the release of hostages.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I’m sure the guy who chopped his arm off (or whatever it was) when he was hiking and it got trapped didn’t want to do so, but sometimes we have to make choices we don’t like. You’re choosing to let trans people, people of color, immigrants, Palestinians, and a whole lot of other people get fucked by Republicans because you can’t do a little dirty work.

I hope you don’t have a pet, because you sometimes have to clean up shit. It sucks and no one likes doing it, but sometimes we have to choose to do things like that so other people don’t have to suffer the consequences of if we decide to take the easy route and pretend it didn’t exist.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

You’re choosing to let trans people, people of color, immigrants, Palestinians, and a whole lot of other people get fucked by Republicans because you can’t do a little dirty work.

A “little dirty work” you say of voting for a genocider.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

Yeah can also vote for Santa Clause. He also doesn’t do any genocide as far as I’m aware, and probably has a better chance of being elected.

Vote for progressive people for local office. You don’t get a choice in the US presidential election except for the top two currently. Cornel West has zero chance of winning, so it has the exact same result as not voting. It’s just a way to try to make yourself feel better while other people get hurt.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                2 months ago

Cornel West has zero chance of winning

Mostly because people like yourself keep telling everyone that they have to vote for one of the two major parties.

If people voted their conscience, I bet he’d have a decent chance.

Yeah can also vote for Santa Clause.

He’s not eligible to be president, because he was born in Anatolia, and he’s been dead for 1700 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas