• Ibuthyr
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

The ADAC (German Automobile Club) has deemed EVs more reliable than ICE cars. I’m fairly ambivalent in this regard. EVs are still way too expensive for me. Next car will be a used ICE vehicle. Maybe after that one we’ll go for an EV, simply because it makes sense for us (PV on the roof), but vehicle2home or vehicle2grid has to be the standard by then.

Older, mechanical cars are very reliable, I’ll give you that. I imagine the cars you have aren’t exactly the newest models.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Anyone can make that claim, but reliability comes with real world scenarios, and not some hypothetical numbers. How many EVs do you see on the market with 200k+ miles? Vs how many ICE cars hitting this mark?

EVs will get there, but they’re not to this point yet

• Ibuthyr
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I absolutely get what you mean. It’s just that there aren’t many components in an EV that can fail. If they do fail however, it’s no doubt going to be expensive. I’m looking positively into the future though.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

There is still a decent amount, it’s just as you said, if it breaks…it gets really expensive quick.