• rekorse@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    vor 1 Monat

Okay but you understand what you call proper maintenance is not the average maintenance. People aren’t neglecting their cars, they dont have the time to spend on it. The only people that talk about proper maintenance like you are the people who grew up with a mentor or mechanic in their life.

Having a car make 300k is a sign of privilege or exceptional design.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      vor 1 Monat

This is complete bullshit. The majority of people who take care of their cars are either wealthy or poor. The poor do it themselves and the wealthy just take it to the dealership.

I grew up in poverty, all our vehicles were 20+ years old and used. And all had 200k+ miles on them easily. All my poor friends same thing. Hell if someone’s car had issues the community would usually step in and the guys who knew how to work on the cars would do the maintenance or fix the issue. Even today now that I’ve got a well paying career I don’t buy new and I still work on my cars.

Privilege has nothing to do with keeping a car properly maintained. That’s just ignorant.

• rekorse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        vor 1 Monat

Those cars in your poverty stricken area were meticulously maintained? Or is it more likely they were just endlessly repaired.

Those are two entirely different arguments. Poor people repair cars because thats their only option.

Poor people dont maintain cars well because they can’t afford it. You ride shit until it breaks and fix it the best you can.

Apparently everyone in your neighborhood worked in the auto industry.