• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Does nobody else see the problem with “donors flocking”?

Yet again, oligarchs and the absurdly wealthy are buying influence, and it gets ignored

• maniii@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Right now, any candidate that gets people motivated enough to get to the polls and not “pokemon Go to the polls” has to be good enough to keep Drumpf out of the oval office.

Its sad to see the “bots” and “farms” existing on both sides. Propaganda is good for one thing, brainwashing and disenfranchising the masses.

DNC and democracy are always for sale and this time around is no different in that.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Yesh, well as true as that is, maybe it’s time we stop accepting the status quo. The more of this shit I see, the more militant I start thinking.

• EleventhHour@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Maybe we worry more about not electing a Nazi, and take care of the rest of it after that.

Priorities people

• DragonTypeWyvern@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

There will always be another Nazi, because Republicans are a fascist party.

If the Democrats want me to accept being in a one-sided Popular Front coalition for life they can acknowledge that reality, and stop doing fascist shit themselves.

• EleventhHour@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

Oh, so I guess we should just give up and let the Nazis win then.

Flawless logic — that same ol’ both sides bullshit

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Right. Also, does nobody see the problem with the fact that delegates are pledging without any sort of vote from the people? The oligarchs have chosen two whole people out of 330 million, and told us that it’s democracy when we get to pick one of them, and one of them has sworn to destroy the country. This is not a government of the people, by the people, for the people.

• laughterlaughter@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I agree with you in part. But I’m sure common folks are also a good portion of the donors.

Actually, let’s find out…

Ok. This is from 2020, so I’m not sure how good it reflects 2024:

https://www.opensecrets.org/2020-presidential-race/kamala-harris/demographics?id=N00036915

It says that women were the majority donating, and the biggest group donated between $1,000 and $3,000 - still a lot of money for many common folk, but that’s far from the “oligarchs” that you guys are talking about.

• aleph@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

It doesn’t get ignored; it’s one of the most common criticisms of US politics.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I meant more on this level than the world stage.

Plenty of posts about the candidacy change, but very few issues taken with the fact that there were huge donors pledging to not donate without a change in candidate, and woopsie-doodle, now you’ve got money flowing again.

• Diplomjodler@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

That’s how it is in US politics. There’s only a choice between the insane horror clown and the corporate stooge. Shitty choice but an easy one nonetheless.