• Google’s still at it…
  • The Doctor@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

It was the most brilliant bit of corporate skullduggery I’ve ever seen. I was dating a guy back then who claimed that he worked at the Big G and had developed a plan for killing RSS and ATOM. I figured he was bullshitting me, and for a few other reasons we didn’t work out. But as it turned out every thing he said would happen, did.

• The Doctor@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

There was the perception that RSS meant that user browsing habits couldn’t be tracked. A feed reader would pull a feed but there was no way for them to know what posts people were reading and which posts they were skipping. It was a revenue sink. The push has always been for greater and greater granularity of what users were interacting with and for how long.

I’ve often wondered if the interim push for RSS feeds to only have the first couple of sentences of a longer post (forcing the reader to click on the link to the full article) was an attempt to mitigate this on somebody’s part, he never mentioned anything like that (it was my own observation).