• Artyom@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Every time I think about Zardoz, I think it must be the last time I’ll ever think about Zardoz. Maybe Zardoz is eternal?

• hydroptic@sopuli.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Well, I guess that as long as something is still remembered, it still lives on even if just in peoples’ memories. So in a way Zardoz is going to live on much longer than most of us, who’ll be forgotten in just a couple of generations

• Fuckfuckmyfuckingass@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

This is legitimately one of my favorite films. They definitely were on drugs making this one, but good drugs. Exceedingly good drugs.

• hydroptic@sopuli.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

It’s like pure concentrated essence of 70’s. I actually really do like it too; like I said in another comment it’s not what I’d call a good movie as such, but the ridiculous camp is part of the fun for me. What’s not to love about a weird-as-shit 70’s dystopian scifi romp that’s like Elysium on tons of LSD?

• hydroptic@sopuli.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

It’s, uh… it’s interesting. I wouldn’t call it a good movie exactly, but it’s not terrible either – very campy, very weird, often funny without meaning to be, and clearly a product of the 70’s, but it’s a fun and ridiculous watch.

Lots of people say it’s incomprehensible because they just focus on the weird shit (of which there is plenty), but it’s a pretty standard “dystopian future where the elite live lives of plenty by subjugating masses who live in squalor” trope at its core. Like Elysium but made by hippies