• Evolushan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Lmao 10 paid days off if you’ve been there 2 years. Meanwhile EU and their average 25 days

• ipkpjersi@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Unfortunately, this is fairly standard for north america. 25 days off is kind of unheard of IMO unless you’re like director level.

• zalgotext@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

In my experience in the tech industry, 10 days is standard for entry* level positions, but quickly grows as you advance your career. At some places you can accrue more than those 10 days as well, based on hours worked. A lot of places do the “unlimited PTO” thing too now, so 10 days for a pretty experienced person working at a successful tech company seems pretty paltry to me.

• ipkpjersi@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

Yeah, 10 vacation days is pretty standard. Usually it’s like 10 vacation days + 2-5 sick days, so like 15 days max. After like 3-5 more years with the company, maybe you get like 20 days, but 25 like minimum is pretty rare imo

Unlimited PTO is often so employers don’t have to pay out vacation days as part of termination pay.

• Crashumbc@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

And it’s a psychological thing. Employees tend to actually use less time off in those places.

It’s not done or of the goodness of the employers heart.

• abraxas@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

I’ve had ~25 days off for years, and was most of that time merely “developer”. My first career job was 3 weeks from day 1. I would gamble many of the people that work for LTT are otherwise in fields that would get more than 10 days per year starting. And I’m in the US. My Canadian friends always have better vacay and bennies than I do.

• ipkpjersi@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

And I’m in the US. My Canadian friends always have better vacay and bennies than I do.

That is very far from the norm - at least, if we’re talking about salary. Typically, the pay is much lower here than you’d get in USA, especially for tech jobs. Silicon Valley is basically the tech hub of the world, after all.

• abraxas@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Yeah, I didn’t mention pay. I would take a pay cut to move to Canada. I have no illusions about that.

• AssholeDestroyer@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

I get 5 weeks at a smaller semiconductor fab in Oregon, that’s the industry standard for fabs in the Portland area. Intel has a mandatory month sebatacle after 5 years of employment I’ve heard.

• JustEnoughDucks@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I live and work in Belgium.

0 days off if you haven’t worked the year before (technically illegal is the EU, and they will allow you to take paid days off if you file for “EU days off” but then they deduct it from your following year. Damn loopholes.)

12 if you haven’t worked but work 40 hours instead of 38

20 days off required bt government after the first year

10 or so national holidays that are paid by default

42 in total generally, with some rolling if unused.

Almost Unlimited sick days if you get doctor’s notes (there are also house visiting doctors and a normal doctor visit is 4€). Some jobs that are toxic will send doctors employed by them to your house to make sure you are sick.

After the first year it is quite nice.

• pwr22
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Pretty terrible deal compared to even the mandatory UK stuff. Our glorious hereditary not-dictator 🤴 will be greatly disappointed!

• tamethecoach@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

10 days is the legal minimum in Canada and most companies don’t offer more than that unless you have lots of experience. My company caps at 15 days. So I say this is more of a Canada work culture problem than an LMG problem

• randomname01@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Bro what the fuck. The legal minimum in Belgium is 20 days, and you also get 10 national holidays. 30+ days (not including those national holidays) isn’t exceptional. I can’t imagine only getting 10 days.

• JustEnoughDucks@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

I can imagine it.

Here in Belgium, first year of working and working 38 hours: 0 holidays except national holidays 😂

But yeah outside europe, holidays are abysmal. India, maylaysia, and China are even worse than the Americas in many cases as far as holiday and conditions.

• abraxas@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Really? I’ve had friends in Canada who I used to vacation with, and none of them only had 2 weeks or 3 weeks as seniors.

• padge@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Me too. I think they have an actual HR team now that isn’t just Yvonne.