• inclementimmigrant@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

According to the latest data from Reuters/Ipsos, Harris is leading Trump in support, 44% to 42%, which falls within the survey’s three point margin of error, the latest suggestion the race between the vice president and former president will be close.

Means nothing outside of the fact that democrats are going to democrat mostly and fascists are going to fascist.

And with things being basically even, remember that fascists are much better about getting out the vote and consistently voting and most of our votes don’t matter only a handful of states do.

• Wilzax@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Practically nobody who was going to vote for Biden will now not vote. In contrast, MANY people who were going to choose not to vote because their options were Biden or Trump will now make an effort to vote, because one of their options just became a much younger and more hope-inspiring option

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yep, Biden supporter here. I like Biden, but Harris is an excellent choice as well and she fully has my support. I can’t imagine anyone who supported Biden not supporting Harris.

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Means nothing outside of the fact that democrats are going to democrat mostly and fascists are going to fascist.

Kamala is pulling younger voters and votes of color out of the “undecided” bracket and away from third-party candidates. This is a big swing from the Biden low watermark of 37% last month.

fascists are much better about getting out the vote and consistently voting

Historically, fascists tend to win elections by launching paramilitary campaigns of harassment, hyper-policing, and mass disenfranchisement during election seasons. Mass disenfranchisement has played a big roll in flipping states like Wisconsin, Ohio, and Florida red. Most famously, the Brooks Brothers Riot was critical in shutting down the recount process during the 2000 Florida election that elevated Bush to the presidency.

I would be less worried about Republicans simply turning out in droves than I am of Dem districts subjected to domestic terrorism and red state interference and intimidation of local poll workers.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yeah as an Ohioan it’s remarkable how many otherwise liberal people just are meh about voting. People who would be democrats if they cared

• HelixDab2@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Kamala is pulling younger voters and votes of color out of the “undecided” bracket and away from third-party candidates.

This is going to be the real question. Can Harris pull in black men? They trend more conservative overall. Can she pull in gen Z people that are voting age? If she can get her performance up with those two groups, in PA, MI, and AZ, then she’ll likely win.

BTW - note that you talk about Biden as Biden, rather than Joe, but you refer to Harris as Kamela. This is a consistent problem with and for female politicians. Clinton get referred to as Hillary (when it is contextually clear that it’s not referring to Bill). Just something to think about.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

This is going to be the real question. Can Harris pull in black men?

That’s not a real question. Dems regularly pull 70-90% of black male voters.

• HelixDab2@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

It is in fact a real question, because Trump has made significant inroads into that demographic. Given how tight the margins are, Dems need to be pulling in all of the black, male voters.

Anecdotally, I’ve known a handful of black men in my area that support Trump. All of them also smoke a ton of weed, so there’s a lot of cognitive dissonance there.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

Trump has made significant inroads into that demographic.

From approximately 0% during the Obama presidency to the low 20s against Hillary.

But right in line with what Republicans have normally received going back to the 70s.

All of them also smoke a ton of weed, so there’s a lot of cognitive dissonance there.

No, that tracks.

• Snowclone@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Bill Clinton said Republicans want to fall in line, Democrats want to fall in love. This is looking very promising.