Proton isn’t reinventing the wheel with this crypto wallet. But it’s another solid option for people looking to create a crypto wallet for the first time. However, cryptocurrencies tend to be a polarizing topic, so let’s see if Proton Wallet doesn’t hurt Proton’s brand image in the future.

• More information: Proton Blog Article
  • priapus@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I really didn’t see anyone asking for this, hopefully it didn’t take too many resources to create. Even though I don’t understand it being made I’ll probably still switch to it, because Exodus feels like it’s getting more and more bloated and annoying to use.

edit: I just realized this wallet only seems to support bitcoin? Why on earth would they do that? Most people holding a significant amount of Bitcoin are storing it in a hardware wallet and rarely transferring it. It sucks to use for actual transactions.

• Dremor@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Minimal Viable Product. They shiped it with only one coin to avoid having to spend too much time on implementing every possible coin protocol. But they says that they will add more of them in the future, and, maybe, even fiat currencies.

• Manalith@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I would prefer a privacy conscious alternative to Google Wallet first, then add the crypto stuff, but that’s just me

• AProfessional@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

What does a privacy conscious version even look like?

Some things simply aren’t legal anymore like buying crypto without identification.

• Dremor@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Problem is, as they said in their bloc post, that to handle real money they have to get the required authorisation from the Swiss bank authority.